ORGANIST/CHOIR DIRECTOR of FIRST CHURCH JOB OPENING
First Congregational Church of East Hartford, CT, established in 1699, is in search of a part-time Organist/Choir Director. The worshipping congregation of 50-70 members and friends enjoys a variety of musical styles, with the majority of hymns from the Worshipping Church and New Century Hymnals, along with occasional gospel, praise, folk and even secular pieces. We are blessed with an Austin pipe organ and Steinway Grand piano in the sanctuary. As a deeply valued and integral member of our staff, our next Organist/Choir Director will direct and nurture our dedicated volunteer 4-part choir, averaging 12-16 voices weekly, and has been ongoing since 1932.
- Work with the pastor in preparation for Sunday Morning Worship Services, as well as special services (Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Easter, etc.).
- Play organ or piano music for all regular Sunday Services offering hymns, prelude, postlude, offertory, anthems, prayer response and music during communion.
- Play Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Easter and any additional services mutually agreed upon.
- Direct, accompany, rehearse, and nurture the choir. The Choir historically rehearses prior to worship and one night during the week.
- Incorporate handbells, instrumental soloists, vocal soloists, guest musicians, etc. periodically in worship.
- Manage budgeted funds for new choral music/supplies.
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
- Proficiency playing the organ and piano required.
- Experience as a choral director required.
- A background check will be required for the final candidate.
Compensation: $12,000 / year
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Contact the Search Committee Chair at connieholmeen (at) gmail (dot) com. A resume, a cover letter and two references are required and can be emailed to the above address or mailed to:
First Congregational Church
837 Main Street
East Hartford, CT 06108
The First Congregational Church of East Hartford is an Open & Affirming United Church of Christ congregation that actively embraces people of every sexual orientation, race, gender, and ability! We are diverse theologically, concerned socially, and seeking to grow spiritually. To learn more about our church, and to read our mission statement, check out our website: churchcorners.org